Syncing two computers with the same mail accounts

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by UncleheFTy, Nov 9, 2011.

1. UncleheFTy macrumors member

I may have asked this question previously, but at my age you sometimes forget exactly what you have asked.

My wife has a Macbookpro and a Macpro and has a variety of email accounts - some pop some .me, the issue we would like to resolve is that whilst she is working on one puter and down loads or uploads mail, the same mails, from the same accounts cannot be sen on the other computer. Ideally what we'd like is for the two to be in total sync as this would avoid her having to go into her claranet account and deleting hundreds of mails a day.

I have read about IMAP accounts but clara don't appear to do them, can anyone help to guide us through this maze?

Ta

Uncle H

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

the me account is imap so all the computers will keep in sync when you read delete and reply. pop accounts you are pretty much stuck on those. you have to manually mark the emails read on the computer you are not using. Pop just download the email and the email software does everything else.

3. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

If you are using POP accounts and want them to sync across multiple devices, best way to do it is to get a free GMail account, and forward the emails from the POP accounts to GMail, which is IMAP. You then set it up GMail so that when you send to or respond to an email, it looks like it's coming from the POP account. And the people sending her email will still send to her POP account and will never know it's going through GMail.

She would add the GMail account to every device she wants to keep synced, and use that as her primary account.

4. waynep macrumors 6502

You might see if your POP accounts have IMAP capabilities and see if you can use IMAP instead of POP.