Syncing Two Folders on Different Macs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ChrisN, Oct 7, 2008.

1. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Hi, well I have an iMac and a Macbook and I do most of my schoolwork on the iMac and I have a separate folder for all of my work but I want to bring it over to my Macbook. How can I do that without using a thumbdrive or anything, I just want it to sync everyday or something.

Thanks, any help is appreciated.
    ChrisN

2. iwuzbord macrumors 6502

iwuzbord

i have the perfect solution for you!

windows live foldershare.
    once set up, it works perfectly in syncing folders between different pcs and or macs. try it. it actually works!

3. shwc macrumors regular

4. thegilly macrumors member

I useChronosync to keep folders in Sync between my iBook and iMac. There are plenty of applications out there to do this; I auditioned several, but Chronosync is the one that made sense to me. It's easy to set up, and quite flexible. I have it set so that it runs my syncs when either of my Macs mounts the other's drive, which works for me because it means all my documents are automatically synced even if I just get in touch with my other Mac to grab an audio file that isn't on my laptop or something. And syncing when I want to is as easy as clicking the Apple menu and grabbing 'iMac HD' (or 'iBook HD' if I'm using the iMac) from the Recent Servers list. But, as I said, there are many options for doing this and some of them are probably free, so you might want to do a search (on versiontracker or macupdate, perhaps) to see what you come up with.

5. ChrisN thread starter macrumors 65816

ChrisN

First off thanks guys for all the programs, I looked at all of them but all of them except foldershare cost like $30.

but i have a problem with foldershare, my word documents are showing up as p2p files and I don't know if it is downloading the actual file. So can anyone help?

ChrisN

6. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

If the folder is no bigger than 2GB, then you can use Dropbox for free. It's absolutely awesome.

7. ChrisN thread starter macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Thanks dropbox is awesome! foldershare just wasn't working for me and this is! thanks everyone

ChrisN