Syncing Two Local Folders

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jojoman, Jul 26, 2008.

1. jojoman macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm wondering if there is a way to sync two folders on the same hard-drive, so basically I have two identical folders at the same time.

I know this may sound stupid, but this is the reason: I just got this program called "Dropbox", which creates a folder locally on your computer, and whatever you dump into that folder will sync with the online server of Dropbox. This provides a great way to sync and backup your files. However, illogically, I just don't like to open and save files directly inside the local dropbox folder; I much rather save and change files wherever the files were originally, and then have those files sync with the dropbox folder.

Hope this makes sense!

2. hiddenpremise macrumors regular

hiddenpremise

Somewhere between my imagination and reality
    If you have any applescript experience you can write folder actions to do that for you. This is probably the hard way, but I don't know of any others off teh top of my head.

3. hiddenpremise macrumors regular

hiddenpremise

Somewhere between my imagination and reality
    There is a better solution called rsync. It comes built into OS X as a command line tool, but you really need to update to the latest version to use it successfully. Mike Bombich has posted a pretty good guide to using it here http://www.bombich.com/mactips/rsync.html.