Syncing Two Mac.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by evanreinert, Feb 27, 2011.

1. evanreinert macrumors newbie

I know this topic is popular, but I've searched all over and haven't found a solution to the problem yet.

I'll soon be acquiring a new iMac and I already have a Macbook Pro. My question is, what is the easiest way to sync both? I am already aware of Chronosync and rsync, but am hoping to use some of the features built into OSX.

The iMac will be my primary computer and I want to only sync the files that have been changed. Preferably I would like it to be live so the files save to both instantly, regardless of what computer I'm using.

My idea so far would be to run the iMac as a server of some sort, and then have the Macbook login to it some how, either using mac OSX Server or File Sharing.

I'm also wondering if I could point the home folder destination of the Macbook to the one on the iMac somehow? Or possibly am I better off buying a mac mini server edition and running that as my server?

I really have no idea what I need but I'm looking for a solution of any kind.

2. simsaladimbamba

Have you looked at "rsync" or ChronoSynch, which is a GUI for rsync?

3. evanreinert thread starter macrumors newbie

I have.

I have looked into it, but I'm afraid it wont do what I'm describing. I find their web page very, difficult? I have no experience with ChronoSync or rsync, but if you have, do you think it would work well for me?