Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lightsout

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2005
I believe .mac can do something like this, but I'd prefer to avoid paying for the pleasure of doing this as I don't need the other of .mac's features....

Ok, so I've got 2 Macs - my Intel iMac & Macbook Pro. What I want to do is to share/sync my user profile between the two. In an ideal world, this would mean any changes I do in Mail.app, iTunes, Safari, etc would be replicated to the other system. So I could read/write emails on both systems, read my RSS feeds, etc.

The plan would be using one or other, so there shouldn't be any contention between the two.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Would be a major pain without using .mac.

Basically you need to identify all the files that store all the settings for each of the apps and then find some software that will keep these synced between the two computers (something like chronosync).

Identifying all the files that store all the various settings etc could be the tricky part.

lightsout

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2005
.mac only looks like it'll sync the settings of Mail.app, rather than say, the emails in my folders in Mail.app, my iTunes files, etc. I presume I'd still be doing that by hand?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.