Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NoShoreGuy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
Has anyone else noticed you can't charge or sync your iphone using the bumper? The connector doesn't fit all the way with it on. Anyone else finding this??? If so any solutions besides not using the bumper??

Thanks!

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
Has anyone else noticed you can't charge or sync your iphone using the bumper? The connector doesn't fit all the way with it on. Anyone else finding this??? If so any solutions besides not using the bumper??

Thanks!

Are you kidding me? You're saying that you can't use the usb cable that came with the iphone 4 if you have a bumper on the phone?

f4780y

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2009
Troon, Scotland
Got a black bumper and I can sync perfectly -it's actually a great fit. :confused:

Agreed. Cable that comes with the phone is a perfect fit.
An old iPod (non-phone) cable is larger than the bumper gap, so wont connect properly. But, honestly, what do you expect? You can really criticise them for that...

Jonmurgie

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2007
Cheltenham, UK
Check you are using a newer cable (ideally the one that came with the phone).

I was using an old cable (maybe 2g, can't recall) and it didn't fit with the bumper on, pulled the one out of a 3GS box and it's a little slimmer, fitted perfectly... snug though and doesn't "clip" into place as it did before but still syncs fine :)

NoShoreGuy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
No I tried using the cable that came with the iphone 4 with the bumper didn't fit snug would not connect, so i trimmed a little around the connector part of the bumper fits fine now!

gforce216

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
No I tried using the cable that came with the iphone 4 with the bumper didn't fit snug would not connect, so i trimmed a little around the connector part of the bumper fits fine now!

Are you sure you had the bumper properly fitted on the phone? Sometimes the bumper gets caught between the glass and steel band and will throw off the rest of the bumper's alignment on the phone. Check to make sure that it's flush then the bumper should fit the connector.

It does for mine at least.

coelacanth

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2004
USB sync cables came with older i-devices (the ones have release buttons on sides) won't fit when Bumper is on. Newer design cables should fit no problem. OP, are you using the cable came with iPhone 4 or other newer cables?

elephunkman

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2010
Boston

When you put the bumper on, edges of the rubber can become uneven with the phone so you have to wiggle it a bit to make it fit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.