Syncing with a PC at work and a Mac at home

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by asphalt-proof, Sep 26, 2008.

1. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

Ok so I am sure some (few, most, all) of you have already discovered this but I have my iPhone set up to sync with my PC at work. It has my calendar and contacts synced to my Outlook. I also have a small iTunes library on this computer but hardly ever use it. So today I need to charge my phone at home so I decide to connect it to my mac here fully expecting it to ask if I want to restore and then sync to this mac.

But no, it only asked if I wanted to sync my iTunes. I say 'sure' expecting to have all my contacts and calendar items be erased but after the sycn was completed, i fired it up and lo and behold, my calendar and contacts were intact.

Now this may not seem like a big deal to you users but this was huge for me. I have depended all of my professional life on some sort of Palm, PocketPC, Treo, or the smartphone equivalent to keep me on track, on time, and connected. Syncing was always a lesson in hate. Even if I had successfully synced the Treo or smartphone a thousand times to my work PC, the next sync was always a crapshoot. It was just so random. But to be able to successfully sync to two COMPLETELY different operating systems with nary a hiccup just sent me over the edge. I dug up one of my old Treos and stomped on it. Then I broke an iPaq over my knee. It just ticks me off when I think of all the mental anguish I suffered at the hands of incompetent hardware vendors.

Is the iPhone perfect? No, but it is as close to paradise as I have ever been with a smartphone. But this iPhone continually seems to amaze me and impress me.

Just thought I would share. Thanks for listening.

2. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

yup, its pretty easy to do. Just select your syncing options on each computer in iTunes and as long as you dont select the same thing in two places, you're golden. :D