Syncing with Aperture is much better!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by petvas, Nov 5, 2010.

1. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I just discovered something interesting: If I sync the exact same photos and events from Aperture instead of iPhoto to my iPad, then I gain a lot of free space on my iPad. I sync 1500 photos to my iPad. These photos take about 3GB when synced from iPhoto, but when synced from Aperture they need only 800MB. This is also the case when syncing me iphone 4. Picture quality is exactly the same on my iPad, so I don't see why I should use iPhoto instead to sync. Have you also seen such a behavior?

2. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Wow, interesting.

Hmm, one thing you might check...

Isn't there a setting in iTunes/iPhoto to sync the full sized photo? (The setting makes it so that when you Share a photo from the iPad it sends the full photo instead of the scaled down one.)

Maybe that setting defaults differently between the two programs.

That's a pretty big difference in space usage.

3. lozpop macrumors 6502

Are you sure that the quality is the same? Because we know well how the Photos app on the iPad reduces photos resolution.

But I think that importing them with iPhoto, the Photos app shows you in foreground the medium-quality photo, while opening the photo with, for instance, SketchBook Pro, you can work on the high quality photo, which wasn't shown in the Photos app, but was imported in the background.

In this case, Aperture should have an option that doesn't transfer the high quality version of the photo that would stay in the "background".

4. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

There is no such option. I don't know what iPhoto does, but if it does copy the original photos, then it is wasted space on my iPad, which can only display 1024x768. Of course if you are planning to edit a photo in another program, it is a different story.

5. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

and something else: The Photos aren't referenced, they are in the Aperture library. I don't know if that makes any difference. There is also something else to consider: I am using iTunes 10.1 beta. The iPhoto files were created with a previous version of iTunes, where the Aperture files with the beta. I don't know if that makes any difference at all.