Syncing with new computer

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mycupoftea, Feb 13, 2008.

1. mycupoftea macrumors newbie

Hi!

I tried searching for a thread on this, but I couldn't find anything so if there is one out there I'm sorry!

I am buying my MBP today and I'm curious about what will happen when I sync my Touch with it. Is there a way to get my music from my Touch to my MBP? What's the process for this? Since I'm going to the Apple store should I just go to the Genius Bar and ask them to do it?
    Sorry for the short notice, but I'm leaving for the store in about 2 hours. So, if anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

-Mycupoftea

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

When you start up the computer it can download settings from your old computer, that is where you'll have to get all your old music. If you can't use the automatic transfer (like from windows) just copy your iTunes music folder from your old computer to the new one, then point iTunes to the coppied folder (if not just under Music/iTunes) and all settings and music history will be retained.

TEG

3. Viremia macrumors regular

You could ask the Genius to do it for you, but they won't. That's against the rules.

Google Senuti (which is iTunes backwards). That should allow you to do it.

4. mycupoftea thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, I'm sorry I forgot to mention that I have an iBook G4. I don't know if that makes a difference. I'm such a newbie when it comes to technology D:
    How do I get my new computer to download the settings from my old one? Also, if I just copied the folder I would have to use a LOT of CD-Rs right?
    Sorry for the lack of er knowledge!

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Just use the migrator (it will come up as an option when you start up the new computer). You will either need a firewire cable, network cable, or both comptuers will need a wireless connection, and it will automatically transfer all settings and Home Folder files, including your Music Folder and iTunes settings.

TEG

6. mycupoftea thread starter macrumors newbie