Syncing with new MBP, scared to loose data on iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The-Pro, Mar 3, 2011.

1. The-Pro macrumors 65816

Sup Guys n Girls,

Here is the deal. My girlfriend has just now purchased a MBP!! her iphone has been synced with her brothers computer till now. As she now has her new MBP she wants to put all the music on it and sync her iphone 4 with her MBP. Now, the problem is that as far as i know itunes will delete all data on her iphone in order to sync it!!! The apps were never transferred anywhere before either. It would suck if all the data is gone from her phone when we have to sync it.
    Is there a way in which i can sync the iphone with her new MBP so that a backup is created and all the apps are transferred over?? then afterwards sync the music on?

Any insight of how i can sync her iPhone 4 with out loosing data currently on it would be awesome!!

Cheers

2. dave420 macrumors 65816

I've always found iTunes to be a little tricky when syncing. You will want to right click on the device in iTunes and hit the link for transfer purchases. This should transfer all apps and purchased iTunes store music to the computer. After that you should be able to sync without losing data.
    Be careful!

3. The-Pro thread starter macrumors 65816

ok thanks, try that tomorrow, ill report on how it went.

we will copy out all the contacts to the adress book one by one before hand, thats probably the most important thing.

Anybody know how to make it backup the iphone??

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Just grab the backups from her brothers computer and put them on hers, you can google for file locations.

5. The-Pro thread starter macrumors 65816

Cheers,

i found several things on how to force itunes to backup the iphone, but with all of the posts none of them had their phone synced with a different itunes. so no ither poster had the message appear "this iphone has been synced with another itunes library, you need to erase and sync you iphone" or smthin like that.
    anyone know how to do this here?

So annoying apple makes it so complicated with only one library :D