Syncing with old 3rd party monitor problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by n8mac, Aug 17, 2009.

1. n8mac macrumors 6502

I was wondering is it normal for a second monitor that is third party and too old to have a driver to randomly not sync right or forget its monitor prefs?

First off my specs...
    G4 867 PowerMac
    OS 10.4.11
    Second monitor connected to an ATI 32mb PCI card

To be more specific, the main :apple: CRT is always fine, never forgetting its prefs. I use the second CRT monitor for palettes and such. 1/3 the time the second monitor comes on and is fine. Another 1/3 the time it comes on but is in a smaller resolution, off centered, or has a different desktop. The other 1/3 the time it doesn't even come on until I hit 'detect displays' in the monitor prefs. Is this normal for all 3rd party displays without a driver, could my monitor be just too old, or could it be a problem with Tiger?

Thanks
    Nathan

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Monitors don't need drivers to function. When you see 'Driver Install' CDs included with monitors they usually are actually some kind of calibration program.

That being said, your issues are not due to the lack of a driver for your monitor. Your problems could stem from several sources.
    • You might have a bad display cable
    • The display itself may be getting old and going out
    • Your video card may be on its last leg.

Do you see the same issue if you plug the problematic display into the other port in the video card? If so my vote is with option 2. Try replacing the display.

3. n8mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya I didn't think this was normal.

I can't as the other display has an ADC port. I do however have a newer cable laying around I will try. I should get a new monitor anyway as the old one no longer displays red. I can't complain though as I got the monitor free.

Thanks