Syncing with Server...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by whyrichard, Mar 25, 2012.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hello Good Mac Peeps!

I am trying to fix a server workflow problem at work...

Currently we have four macs, an airport extreme router they all connect to, and a mac mini server that we use as a central location for our working files.

trouble is... the server connection is so slow that we cannot work directly off the server for our files. we have to copy locally, and work from our local copies.

THIS IS VERY INEFFICIENT! Drives us all nuts.

I tried pushing dropbox for teams, but the boss doesn't like the high cost of the subscription.

My next suggestion is a local syncing software, one that we can setup and run on each mac to make sure out local copies of the server are uptodate.

Any suggestions for osx syncing software?

any other solutions that i may consider?

Thank you!

r.

2. BushyRS macrumors newbie

same problem

Hi

I have the same issue

Mac mini server as central file storage but want to sync files to 6 iMac/MBP

I have used Chronosync but this seems to make the Thunderbolt drive hang for some reason

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

Is the server connected to the router via ethernet?

4. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

As part of a software development team, we have to solve the same type of problem. We use SCM (source code management) tools to share and have a central repository. I really don't see why the same tools cannot be used by document slingers. Basically, source code is just a bunch of documents. Since your documents will most likely not be plain text, you will not be able to use some of the really nice features such as comparing revisions and merging changes from multiple users.

Anyway, there are plenty of free SCM tools out there, the most popular being git and svn.

5. BushyRS macrumors newbie

Yes it is