syncing xbox 360 with my Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by superspiffy, Jun 8, 2008.

1. superspiffy macrumors 6502a

Does anybody know how to sync an xbox 360 to a Mac for playing music, pics, movies? I know that there's a program called Connect360 but is there a free alternative?

2. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

The only other alternative I have found is Rivet, which is not free.

If you have an external already, you can just hook that up via USB.

3. superspiffy thread starter macrumors 6502a

what if it's mac formatted?

also, i have all my media files: itunes/iphoto inside my Mac and I can't just copy all of that to an external hdd just for the xbox because I would always have to update everything once I change anything in the Mac.

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Bite the bullet and buy Connect360. Its an excellent product that works with iPhoto/iTunes/etc... with no configuration necessary.

5. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Last time I hooked my external it worked fine. As for the updating thing, there has to be a better and easier way. I would think you only need to update the newest media, not the whole folder.

6. superspiffy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I also realize that iphoto keeps everything in your iPhoto Library pseudofile. how would xbox even recognize it?

7. superspiffy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think I would have to. Can the xbox 360 with Connect360 do everything that AppleTV can do? (take movies, music, pics from your mac to your tv) and short of renting movies on itunes via the TV?

8. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Mostly. I don't know what formats the Apple TV supports, but you might want to check to see what formats are supported by the 360.

You can't play iTunes purchased music on your 360, just like you can't play a rented movie.

Connect 360 and Rivet are both great programs. Highly recommend either.

9. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

I don't know but it works; I bought Connect360 this weekend.

10. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

The photos in your iphoto library file can actually be opened up browsed in the finder like any other window. So it shouldn't be a problem.

11. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

backup software does that, it automatically uploads the NEW media into the external drive, without you having to dump the whole set of information into the drive all over again.

12. JamminJonah macrumors newbie

iMac and Xbox 360 won't communicate using Connect 360

I seem to be the only Mac owner with the problem of basic set-up using Connect 360.

The Facts:
    - My Connect 360 sees and acknowledges my Xbox 360 and its ip.

- I can access Xbox Live through my 360 so I know that the ip is fine.

- My folders are set-up to share

- In the Connect 360 pane, each "active service" says: "Sharing is active, awaiting Xbox 360 Connections."

- I am set-up using a 360 approved Netgear wireless router and the Xbox 360 wireless USB device.

- The computer and the xbox 360 go through aforementioned wireless router on the wireless network.

I just can't get my 360 to see my mac. I tried following the step by steps to fake out media center but there is no "I already have this software" opt out button when attempting to set-up the media center to see a computer on the network. Now a confirmation code is given and required during media center set-up on the 360. I'd really appreciate any help! I'm pulling my hair out over here.

Thanks for reading!

- JJ

13. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

Is your XBox up to date with all software updates? Have you emailed the Connect360 people to ask them if they have any pointers?

14. Jaydhil24 macrumors member

Say for the media blade on you 360 enter it and press the blue button on the 360 remote. You need to change the source you 360 is getting the media from for all the music, photos, and videos. It is set on default you console's hard-drive change it to you imac or what ever you are using.

I just purchased connect 360 the other day and had this problem.

15. JamminJonah macrumors newbie

I have contacted the support and they say it is most likely a firewall issue, but all of my firewalls are down. I can get to the place where you hit the blue x button to change the source but I can't initiate a search of the network for connected computers. I can go from "hard disc" to "Computer" but once I click on computer it pigeonholes me into setting up via media center and there is no button to say "I already have this software."

So basically everything is working, I just can't get my 360 to pick up my mac. I'm stumped.

16. boast macrumors 65816

boast

seems the only free alternative is to dual boot ubuntu, and follow a simple guide to streaming to the xbox.

Thats why mac sucks- no opensource community. :rolleyes:

17. JamminJonah macrumors newbie

Figured it out!

Support was correct - it was indeed a firewall running in the background on part of an anti virus suite I had purchased. Boy do I feel stupid. Connect 360 is working great now. Be sure to check ALL of your possible firewalls (router, built in OS, and anti-virus software).

I'm not sure I need to dignify the Linux post with a direct response...