Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

james-bailey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
Hey folks, new to the mac scene and loving everything about my new MBP. However being a long term PC user there are a few things that I need advice on in the mac world...

Im serious about backing things up, and so going to invest on a Time Capsule to run with Time Machine. Looks a great bit of kit. Am I right in thinking this will back up literally everything on my mac, from Firefox bookmarks to Skype preferences?

Additionally, I regularly access files from a USB 500GB Hard Drive (iTunes MP3s are all on there) and over the last few years I have used a windows piece of software to syncronise this USB HD with an additional USB HD so that if it every gets lost or broken whilst on the road, then I will have it backed up... Is there an easy way to do this on my mac?

Thanks

James

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Time Machine back ups everything, unless you exclude it. TM FAQ

You can use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to make a 1:1 copy.

Also have a look at the following links to learn more about Mac OS X:

Mac OS X Basics

Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

"How to maximise your MacRumors troubleshooting experience" created by mad jew in 2006

MRoogle is a good tool to search these fora for already existing threads about questions you have. It might be able to answer you quicker than waiting for an answer.

james-bailey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
Time Machine back ups everything, unless you exclude it. TM FAQ

You can use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to make a 1:1 copy.

Also have a look at the following links to learn more about Mac OS X:

Mac OS X Basics

Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

"How to maximise your MacRumors troubleshooting experience" created by mad jew in 2006

MRoogle is a good tool to search these fora for already existing threads about questions you have. It might be able to answer you quicker than waiting for an answer.

Hey thanks, that answers it! Cheers

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I so wish Apple would come up with something like Dropbox so you could synchronize not just entire HDs but also individual Folders between systems. Dropbox is a great idea but it mangles some files.

james-bailey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
Thanks, will have a look and see.

How does iSync (thats already on my Mac) compare to those suggested downloads?

After comparing prices of the Time Capsule and a normal USB 1GB HD I am going to just buy the latter and not mind having it plugged in to sync.

As I kind of touched on in my opening post, I regularly access information on a removable HD and this needs backing up 100%, weekly.

Does Time Machine offer a simple solution to backing up this entire drive also onto the same newly bought USB? Hence it would hold 2 seperate backups at once?

Thanks

James

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.