Syncronization software between Two(three) MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gboswellsac, Dec 13, 2011.

1. gboswellsac macrumors member

This may be real dumb question, not my first for sure, but is there software or utilities to sync work data between two MBP running Lion. I know I can use win3scp for Mac to Win7 etc. and I could do scp .... etc between the MBPs but I'm looking for GUI product/utility that will only copy the latest from each. Since one MBP (i5) will be with me and the other 2.26 C2D (also running Lion) will be at home mostly. Any ideas will be appreciated.

BTW has the C2D MBP market gone soft.... have 2/11 2.4 C2D pro with battery count of only 33 and best online offer has been $600. It has box, disks , everything and looks brand new .... just wondering as my wife is wondering what I need with 3 MBPs.....

Thank Boz

2. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Dropbox. Buy a 50 GB or 100 GB account if necessary. As long as you have fast network connections on both machines, it will exactly do what you want/need, without having to manually move/copy/update files.

3. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Yup, what he said :)

4. mape2k macrumors regular

If you want more security, I would recommend TeamDrive to you. Dropbox has had some troubles with data security in the past. With TeamDrive, the data you upload is encrypted before it gets uploaded.

5. Ccrew macrumors 68020

They didn't have issues with security, just a kerfluff over their TOS as to whether Dropbox employees could see data. If your data is so sensitive that it can't be seen it shouldn't be in a shared cloud in any form.

6. gboswellsac thread starter macrumors member

Thanks every one .... will try out asap. Have me searching and reading.....

Happy holidays and Thanks again.

7. billli macrumors newbie

rsync?

alternatively, I don't know your setup, you can always setup a NAS, and then mount the user directory over the NAS, so regardless where you login, you will see all your files on the NAS.

8. gboswellsac thread starter macrumors member

Great idea, I had forgotten about rsync ..... After researching the dropbox and alternatives wow ... so many good avenues to take .... will need to re-think what I really am trying to accomplish...

Thanks again