Syncronize google calendar OTA (without busymac, busysync, etc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fa.ce, Jun 8, 2009.

1. fa.ce macrumors 6502

Hi all,
    i've a mobile me account and want to automagically syncronize my iPhone calendar and contacts with google calendar and google contacts.
    Is it possible in some way ?
    i've read here
    http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=138740&topic=14252
    but seems impossible to use 2 different account (mm and google), in the same moment, isn't it ?
    i've read of a new program aBetterCal for iPhone, anyone has tried it ?
    any other suggestions ?
    thanks

2. fa.ce thread starter macrumors 6502

3. lancewyoming macrumors newbie

You can use both a mobileme and google account (via exchange) at the same time. Works fine. Both contacts and calendars give you the choice to view one, the other, or both at the same time.

This won't sync them together. It will sync them separately. You can easily sync your contacts together with the checkbox in AddressBook. I don't know of an easy/free way to sync your mobileme calendar and google calendar together. But you can get your google calendar in iCal via caldav and just forget about your mobileme calendar all together.

4. Switz213 macrumors 6502

5. fa.ce thread starter macrumors 6502

I hope that something with iPhone 3.x should be changed.
    It's not useful to have 2 different syncronization method that sync them separately, isn't it ?
    The event syncronized with CALDAV are editable on iPhone ?
    here is said:
    Calendars synchronized using CalDAV become read-only on iPhone

is not true ?

6. fa.ce thread starter macrumors 6502

yes, i've seen it
    but why choose another third part tool if the new iPhone 3.x will support CALDav natively ?
    I just wonder why mobile me and caldav (calendar / contact) remains duplicate on iphone ...

7. lancewyoming macrumors newbie

If you follow the directions you found, you will be using exchange on the iphone to connect to google calendar. And you can edit calendars fine. Use caldav to connect iCal to google calendar. And you can edit calendars there.

As I understand it, 3.0 has caldav, so the exchange part may not be necessary then, but I have no real knowledge of that.

As for the two different syncing methods, I do not see why it is a problem. The only thing you lose is the ability to see your calendar on the mobileme website. But you can see it on google website, so that shouldn't be a problem. Otherwise you computer will have it, your phone will have it, and you will be able to edit it both places.

8. fa.ce thread starter macrumors 6502

Contacts groups syncronization are not supported yet ?

9. lancewyoming macrumors newbie

That is true. And the contacts syncing has some arbitrary limits on the number/types of phone numbers. Limits that mobileme does not have.

10. fa.ce thread starter macrumors 6502

11. lancewyoming macrumors newbie

I have not had any trouble with contact syncing (or calendars for that matter). I have been using it for a while now. But those problems seem to be affecting windows users, so that might explain why I haven't experienced it.

12. fa.ce thread starter macrumors 6502

So there'll be a different method to setup CALDav of the one below ?
    http://www.google.com/mobile/apple/sync.html