SyncServer crashing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Padaung, May 8, 2008.

1. Padaung macrumors 6502

Padaung

Hi,

I have just installed a new HDD in my Macbook. I used Super Duper to clone/backup the original drive to my Firewire disk. I booted from the backup to check it worked OK. I then swapped the old drive (120Gb) out and put in the new one (320Gb). The old 120Gb drive has now been placed into an external USB casing.

I initially used the Firewire disk to replace the data to the Macbook as it would be quicker than using the USB disk. All went fine and the Mac started up. I opened up Mail and got the message shown in the attached image appeared about 20 secs after Mail started.

I clicked relaunch and everything seems to run fine. I checked activity monitor and all seems to be running OK.

Anyway, the message keeps bugging me. I booted up using the original 120Gb drive, ran Mail and the message does not appear. I then figure; cool, the old drive is working fine, there must have been an error in the original copy. I use the original drive to clone from and re-install all the computer's content. I then re-boot normally and again open Mail and the message appears once more.

Does anyone know what the heck is going on and how I can get rid of this stupid error message once and for all?

Many thanks :)

Attached Files:

2. theonlyandyt macrumors newbie

Hi there,
    I've had this problem for a few days now but I'm anages to fix it. Here's how:

My syncServer was eating up processors cycles and crashing every 10 mins or so. I found this on the apple site:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1627?viewlocale=en_US

iSync wouldn't run in order to reset so it says use the command:

/System/Library/Frameworks/SyncServices.framework/Versions/A/Resources/resetsync.pl full

This didn’t work for me, I got a time out message from python (even in safe mode). Single user mode didn’t help either. However, it did set me on the right path.
    Apple “STRONGLY DISCOURAGES” messing with the ~/Library/Application Support/SyncServices folder as it may lead to “unexpected data loss”. My machine was unusable, so I bit the bullet.

I copied the SyncServices folder to the desktop and compressed it as a back-up. Then logged out and back in again.

Then I went strait to the MobileMe Preferance Pane. In the sync tab, in advanced I “Reset Sync Data” on my machine. I was then presnted with a dialog box asking whether to "replace all" on MobileMe or "replace all" on my computer. As this is my master machine I "replaced all" on MoblieMe and all is now hunky dory (thats a good thing by the way).

Note: if you have devices in iSync you may have to add them again. I don't so I'm not sure how this will effect iSync settings.

Hope this helps.