SyncServer using majority of RAM - Causing iMac to crawl.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jenkin, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Jenkin macrumors newbie

A coworker of mine has a new 24" iMac (about 3-4 months old) running OS X 10.5.3 and she complained that it was acting very very slow. I ran a permissions repair and even Disk Warrior to try and fix any issues.

Finally I was looking at activity monitor and noticed that SyncServer was using almost all of her ram. She has one gig in the machine and it was using more than 750MB of memory with over 1.5GB of virtual memory. With the other system processes running she only had 75MB of RAM free. Obviously this is what's causing the sluggishness but I have no idea how to fix it.

She has .Mac turned off on the machine if that helps. However she does use iTunes for music and her iPhone.

Is there anything I can do to fix this issue myself?

Thanks,

Jenkin

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Are you sure it is SyncServer and not mdutil or mds (Spotlight indexing)?

Have you just tried rebooting it?

3. Jenkin thread starter macrumors newbie

It's definitely SyncServer. The process that's using the ram and virtual memory is listed as "SyncServer"

I've rebooted, repaired permissions, verified the disk and run Disk Warrior 4 on it all to no avail.

Here's an image of the Activity Monitor showing almost zero RAM available and SyncServer taking up the majority of it. Keep in mind, nothing is sycning. This is just the finder looking at the desktop.

[​IMG]

4. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Well this is not a System process, but a user process. Check her account for login items and see if there is something related to it. Also, you can kill the process using Activity Monitor, but upon reboot it will startup again. She must have installed some sort of program that is running this process.

Is she running any Microsoft Apps (like Office on the Mac)? If so, go into preferences and disable all Sync Services under "General". This may be causing it. If you look in her home directory/Library/Sync Services/Schemas you may see a folder there called "MicrosoftOfficeNotes.syncschema" or something else from Microsoft.

5. awparran macrumors newbie

Sync Server

I know this is an old thread, but lately I am about 3-seconds from throwing my iPhone through a wall. I have not been able to sync my iPhone for three weeks now. As shown above and it seems no one seems has an answer, I too see a process running called SyncServer and it is taking up almost 95% of my physical memory.

To stop any guessing from those that don't have a clue, when I stop the process, my notebook runs mormally. THIS IS AN APPLE PROCESS!!! :mad:

I am runing Windows VISTA Home Premium.

I spoke to Apple about this and they emailed me a full set of instructions to remove iTunes, and QuickTime. I followed the instructions to the letter.

It did not, and does not work.

I WILL be calling Apple again.