SyncServer

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GulfVetSAF, Apr 24, 2008.

1. GulfVetSAF macrumors member

GulfVetSAF

I was checking my activity monitor (it seems something is always running in the background) on my iMac and I discovered a process called "SyncServer" which is using up around 500+ MB memory. Just curious what this is (I think it's for .Mac)?

Thanks

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

SyncServer handles synchronization jobs on Mac OS X that use the built-in sync engine. This applies to iDisk (for .Mac), iSync, iTunes (syncing with iPods and iPhones), for example.

As for why it is using 500+ MB of memory - if that's in the virtual memory size, that is completely normal. Most processes, even when idle, reserve (but don't use until it's needed) a healthy chunk of virtual memory. How much is process-dependent. If it's real memory, then you might want to try restarting your Mac, unless SyncServer is busy with some synchronization job. If it is doing a sync operation, that would explain the memory usage.

3. GulfVetSAF thread starter macrumors member

GulfVetSAF

Thanks for the quick reply. I thought this was the case- with the exception that I didn't see any active sync jobs going on... I quit it once and noticed just now that it's running again...

The real memory is 417 and the virtual is 1,007 MB.

Thanks for the info!

4. Jenkin macrumors newbie

A coworker of mine has a new 24" iMac (about 3-4 months old) running OS X 10.5.3 and she complained that it was acting very very slow. I ran a permissions repair and even Disk Warrior to try and fix any issues.

Finally I was looking at activity monitor and noticed that SyncServer was using almost all of her ram. She has one gig in the machine and it was using more than 750MB of memory with over 1.5GB of virtual memory. With the other system processes running she only had 75MB of RAM free. Obviously this is what's causing the sluggishness but I have no idea how to fix it.

She has .Mac turned off on the machine if that helps. However she does use iTunes for music and her iPhone.

Is there anything I can do to fix this issue myself?

Thanks,

Jenkin