Syncying custom made ringtones on iOS6, as anyone tried?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by EmilyIdan, Sep 5, 2012.

1. EmilyIdan macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I'm a past user of iOS4, and a current of iOS5.
    And I wonder, will syncing the custom made Ringtones be like it was in iOS4?
    As just dragging the Ringtones to the Ringtones tab under the iPhone's settings, or there's a need to manually sync it via placing it in the iTunes's ringtones folder like it was in iOS5.
    As iOS4's way of doing was comfier, and the fact it wouldn't delete the entire music collection.

2. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

I don't really understand part of your post, but custom ringtones work for me.

I choose a song from my library, go to 'get info' and set the start and stop time that I want the ringtone to be, 'created AAC version', delete the new clipped version from the library, go the the file in finder, change it to a .m4r extension, then double click it and it adds it to the tones tab.

3. qbeats macrumors newbie

iOS6 m4r failure (so far)

Hey guys I make ridiculous ringtones in my spare time and have 72 in my phone and climbing all the time...Until the IOS6 update!? :(

I've tried all the usual tricks and a few other things and no love yet!

I'm sure the trick will be discovered soon enough but until then I'm so glad I made them because default ANYTHING phone-wise is $%#$%•¶ §∞∑∂!!

4. antdawe macrumors regular

All my custom ringtones work fine.

I use garageband and click export to iTunes, select the part of the track that you want and boom its in iTunes ready to sync.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

All the ringtones I made and stored in Itunes sync up fine under IOS6 on my 5. There are free apps (Ringtonemaker etc) That will allow you to do it, just set the length of the clip, start marker and sync.

6. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I create mine in Audacity. This lets me do things like put 2 seconds of silence at the beginning (so if I feel my phone vibrate I can get to it before it makes noise) and have the volume start low and ramp up.

I then save to a WAV file in Audacity, import that into iTunes, convert to AAC, remove it from the library, rename the file to .m4r, and reimport.

I wish Apple would just put in a "Convert to ringtone" right-click option for tracks instead of making us jump through hoops.

But it works, and I enjoy my custom ringtones!

7. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

same as some of the posts above; i make 30second files, change to .m4r...
    put them in 'ringtones' in itunes; sync to my phone. works!

8. Appleseeds macrumors regular

No issues I've synced some 132 custom ringtones.
    Realistically only use about 10 of those. But hey they don't take up much room so I sync them all.

9. ohio.emt macrumors 6502a

No problems syncing my custom ringtones I've been using for years.