synergy for the iphone?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Freyqq, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I was thinking of a really great idea..someone should tailor synergy to work for the iphone. Synergy is a multiplatform program that allows you to control the mouse and keyboard of one computer on another computer allowing you to share keyboards and monitors across 2 comps. Imagine a program that would allow you to control your computer's mouse and keyboard through the iphone with the iphone keyboard and an area at the top to serve as a touchpad.

2. ajthomason macrumors 6502

It doesn't sound like you want Synergy, but a general VNC client with just mouse/keyboard. Synergy is great on macs/PCs though.

Anyway, your idea would be good!

3. The General macrumors 601

VNC server for the iPhone. :)

You'd have to jailbreak for it, but I could see it being useful. They have something like it for Windows Mobile.

4. ajthomason macrumors 6502

IIRC there is already one in the app store. Try searching for it.

5. dweebert macrumors newbie

I can see two useful products here, neither of which VNC quite covers:

First, there's an application to run on the iPhone so that it can be used as an advanced multi-touch trackpad and/or graphics tablet for a Mac/PC.

Second would be a port of Synergy or Teleport that allows one to operate the iPhone from a Mac's or PC's keyboard and mouse. The iPhone spends its days in a dock standing next to a computer anyway, so you may as well have some advanced control over it. This would require a jailbroken iPhone, mind you, as it would have to run as a background daemon.

6. The General macrumors 601

Seems to be that VNC covers both of these. The first has been done as a VNC client, the second is just a VNC server. It would have to be modified, though, to accept multi-touch input like the iPhone simulator, but it would work.

7. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

how useable is Mocha VNC as a mouse/keyboard. I have the app, but its too laggy to control my mouse, and acts unexpectedly. I don't need to be able to control my computer from my iPhone, i just want a mouse/keyboard. I want Touchpad PRO in the app store!!! otherwise I'll be jail braking after 2.1