Syning macs.... is it possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by msjones, Sep 25, 2008.

1. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

Hi,

Is it possible to sync data between macs?

OK, so you know how Mobile me syncs emails, contacts etc. Is it possible to go a step further and sync data between macs? IE music libraries & photos etc between desktops and macbooks.

I have a powermac which is home to all my photos and music. I use my MacBook at work and when I am away from home at the girlfriends on weekends. Id like to able to 'sync' my macbook to pic up any new data on my powermac.

Is there a way to do this, or do I have to continue to copy, paste, export & import?

Thanks

Matt

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I don't really know of a way to do this automatically but you could just turn on file sharing and copy the library from one users folder to the other. This doesn't work if you are making changes on both machines.

3. msjones thread starter macrumors 6502

msjones

Thanks Kornyboy.

This is what I am doing currently, basically manually importing any changes across machine. Not really a problem, just a chore.

It would be nice to have the both computers sync photos and music when on the same network. A sort of MobileMe 2.0 :)

Ill email apple lol!

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I use Chronosync to do a similar thing.

Chronosync

Synk

I'm sure there are probably other tools out there as well.

5. msjones thread starter macrumors 6502

msjones

Thanks for that dude, im going to give the chronosync a bash, looks like the app I am looking for!

6. Guy Incognito macrumors regular

You can easily do the same thing for free with rsync.