Synology audio station iTunes integration

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by badcrc32, Feb 23, 2013.

1. badcrc32 macrumors regular

I am coping all my iTunes music to my music folder on my synology. My assumption is remapping my iTunes folder to the music folder on the synology when this is complete. I am worried because I want to buy new music from iTunes and just have it there if this makes sense. I also am looking for some guidance on iPhoto. I am assuming that I can just copy that folder to the photo folder and remap....

Thanks guys

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Do the following for iTunes. Copy the entire iTunes folder onto the NAS. Then move and rename the original one on your local machine somewhere safe (as a temp backup). Open iTunes while holding down the Alt/Option button on your keyboard (If on Windows, I believe it's Shift instead). When it prompts you, click Choose Library and navigate to the folder on the NAS. It should take care of the rest for you. Right click on a song and Get Info to make sure that the path is a subfolder on the NAS.

One final check, go to iTunes > Preferences > Advanced and make sure that the iTunes Media folder location is the NAS subfolder. If not, change it.

And that's it. If everything is working fine, you can get rid of the backup original folder.

3. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

I've used iTunes on NAS for years now and after much experimenting have found the most efficient way to set it up is:

- move only your iTunes Media folder to the NAS
    - Leave the rest of your iTunes Folder, with the database/library files, where its at on your local machine
    - under iTunes prefs/advance/media folder location, point to the media folder on the NAS

This method will ensure fast operation (open, closing, etc.) of iTunes even though the media files are on the NAS. And in the event your computer might lose connection with the NAS, iTunes will NOT try to reset its library location to something else which it will do if you put the entire iTunes folder on the NAS.