Synology DS1512+ can you use eSata and ethernet?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by steffi, May 13, 2012.

1. steffi macrumors 6502a

The eSata is only for external devices and not to make connection with the computer?

Can you have it on the network for other clients but eSata to the Mac Pro?

2. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

You can share an attached volume on your Mac over your network if that is what you are asking. It is called file sharing.

3. steffi thread starter macrumors 6502a

So eStata ports cannot be used to connect the DS1512+ to the Mac right? These are only to plug in additional drives?

4. Neodym macrumors 65816

Neodym

Synology offers expansion boxes called "DX-510", which plug into those eSata ports. You can plug two boxes and expand the number of drives in that system to a maximum of 15 (5 in the main unit and 5 in each DX-510).

Whether it supports (a bigger variety of) other external devices on that ports or even a direct connection to a computer, you better ask directly in the Synology forums.

5. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

The eSATA ports definitely support *any* (I am not sure about boxes with eSATA port multipliers) external hard drives, since I connect one to my DS1511+ (but only certain file system formats).

You can't use eSATA or the USB ports on the NAS to connect to a computer. Don't forget that the NAS is a computer so you can connect other devices to it via USB or eSATA.