Synology DS210+ install and questions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MCHR, Oct 1, 2010.

1. MCHR macrumors regular

Just began setting up a Synology DS210+ and (so far) have been impressed with the ease of its interface. Just a few questions, though as I've never yet used an NAS unit.

I'm setting it up in RAID1, with two WD RE3 drives for a total of 1TB (two 1TB drives mirrored). I went through the installation wizard, which I believe installs the OS and/or formatting. Is this correct? After that, I was able to set up the drives as RAID0, 1, JBOD, etc.

I see the available capacity is 931GB on a 1TB array. Again, is this correct? I understand the formatting and OS take up some room, but I would like to verify that an approximate 7% usage seems normal to you guys.

Last question; is it possible to regain any of that capacity? I may or may not have need for those 'extra' 70GB, but it would be nice to see some of them return.

As an aside, and the reason for my question is that I have internal drives in my MacPro which show their available capacity much closer to what's advertised. I am blindly assuming that's because the OS is on my boot volume, and not taking up room on those drives.

Thanks for any consolation or pointers

2. MCHR thread starter macrumors regular

After a bit of unearthing how a computer sizes and 'sees' disc volume, I understand that the 931Gb on a 1TB drive is considered 'normal'.

However, after installing the RAID1, I see an available volume of 912Gb. What gives?

It also indicates there is 'only' 299Mb used on the disc (I assume for systems, and OS)

3. MCHR thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone? Tips, advice, opinions or links appreciated.