Synology ds212 not supported by time machine?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Avonova, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Avonova macrumors newbie

Is there any truth to time machine data becoming corrupted when used with synology or non time capsule machines?

I want a media server/iTunes hub + a separate partition for time machine backups for my rmbp (remote access via Internet would be a big bonus)

Also is there any truth to airport express + an external hard drive corrupting time machine backups as well? I've read two differing opinions statin that it's not supported by apple, even though the associate at the apple told me it should work just fine.

Thanks in advance, I hope you guys can help me work out a viable solution.

2. brentmore macrumors 6502

brentmore

I haven't got your exact setup, but something quite similar. I've backed up to my DS211 for a few months without any problems. A while ago I dedicate the NAS solely to media and attached an external HD to my APE. No problems there either.

3. Avonova thread starter macrumors newbie

So how is your setup configured?

4. brentmore, Jun 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012

brentmore macrumors 6502

brentmore

I've got the NAS running Synology's Hybrid RAID (2x2TB) connected to the Airport Extreme. Also connected to the APX via the USB port is 1.5TB Seagate external HD. One of the great things about having the HD connected to the APX is the power management, putting the drive to sleep until Time Machine needs it for backups. My MacBook is connected wirelessly. The first backup took some time, of course, but ever since then it's been a pretty quick and transparent process.