Synology DS212J for BackUp

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jester888, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Jester888 macrumors newbie

I am just trying to figure out an onsite backup strategy using the above NAS.

I have a MacBook Pro with 250GB, but will upgrade shortly to a new model with 500GB - I was considering putting 2x 1TB in the Synology in RAID 1 format. Then partitioning the drives down the middle and using 1 partition for a SuperDuper type clone and the other for Time Machine backups - mirrored across the 2 drives.

The most critical things I am backing up are things like photos and family home movies, music and the usual personal documents etc, but important still. I will probably use a cloud type service for offsite.

Would a set up like this make sense for my needs? Thanks.

2. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Just my opinion, but using a Synology 2-bay NAS simply to clone and TM backup one machine is a waste of money since the NAS can do so many more features that you won't be using. I'd get a couple of 2TB external drives if all you want to do is make clones and TM backups for one machine.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use my NAS for Time Machine, and a different drive for an image backup.

I think using the same drive for two backup methods does not give you any increase in data protection.

Edit: I use my NAS for document storage, music streaming and backups, I agree with fhall1 on this note. NAS for backup only makes sense if you have multiple machines to backup

4. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

I will add that I also keep "images" on separate drives. Example: 500GB MBP, I have a 1TB that I backup the image using CCC monthly. Have a NAS for Time Machine and network media storage.

5. SlugBlanket macrumors regular

I have to echo the thoughts of the other contributors here; don't use a NAS if all you want is a backup/clone solution.

I have a Synology DS1511+ and if you do go down that route I would suggest you stick with their own hybrid raid system (SHR) for the filesystem with data protection of 1 disk fault tolerance. You can then create your 2 volume groups for the Clone and Time Machine, each spanning both disks. This way if in the future you decide that you want/need extra capacity, you can simply slot in a larger disk(s) as the need arises. You can't do this if you build it RAID 1.

If you have more than just 1 user that needs access to the data then of course a NAS starts to make more sense.

6. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I do not agree with this advice... or the advice (in other posts) of only using a NAS if you are backing up multiple computers.

A NAS is valuable as a local backup destination for computers. This is especially important if your computer is a laptop... because a NAS does not need to be physically plugged into your laptop for the backup to occur. For example, if you are using Time Machine... it will back up every hour to its destination providing the destination is online.

A local direct attach external drive is OK for a desktop since it is not mobile, and hence a permanent external connection does not affect usability. However, even in those situations, a NAS offers benefits of allowing the target drive to be remote from the desktop computer which is often desirable in the event of theft. You would not want your local tweeker to steal your computer and its attached backup device during a smash and grab.

/Jim

7. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Flynz4, I don't think that's where people where going with it. A NAS, especially units like Synology, can do so much more. That's what people were getting at. You can plug in a simple usb HD for Time Machine purposes into an AEBS and reach the intended result for far less $.

A NAS can do so much more, you're wasting a lot of money if you only use it for Time Machine/Backups. I don't think anyone was suggesting to use a direct connect HD on a laptop.

8. Jester888 thread starter macrumors newbie