Synology DS410J w/ 4 1tb for Nas + Time Machine?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by psychbiker, Nov 12, 2013.

1. psychbiker macrumors newbie

I have access to 500gb of music and want to be able to access that from work on my home network. I also want to create a backup plan from my macbook.

Would a used Synology DS410J with 4 WD 1tb drives for $100 be a good deal for this?

I'd like to set it up as time machine and a NAS. Having 4 1tb drives, couldnt I RAID 3 of them and make one of the the NAS drive?

link to info on the DS410J

http://www.synology.com/us/products/DS410j/

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

That would be an awesome deal. It sounds too good to be true.

3. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Doing a time machine backup to anything other than an apple approved device has proven to be unreliable. Some have had good luck, others have had disasters. If you want to be safe, use a Time Capsule or an Airport Extreme or another mac, or use something like Carbon Copy Cloner instead of time machine.

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Don't bother with Time Machine and a Synology, just use the built in Synology backup system. It works much better than TM does.

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Time Machine and Synology work quite well. The only instability I ever had was when Apple changed the protocol ages ago. Synology had a patch out in no time.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why reinvent the wheel when TM is a good solution for most users?

7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

When you're dealing with a NAS, TM doesn't quite operate as fast you would hope. I should have added that to my first post, but I found that TM simply took forever over a gigabit network and thus I attributed the slowdown to TM and not the network.

8. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Have you ever recovered? And has TM ever pruned? Last time the advertised synology TM broke last year it took them three months to work around, to me that's more than no time :)

9. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Our family has used it for recovery and its worked fine. As for pruning it's a 3TB drive and far from full.