Synology NAS, Airport extreme and shared folder sync

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thecounthahaha, Jun 14, 2013.

1. thecounthahaha macrumors regular

Hi,

I'm having nothing but problems setting up my synologies and I'm hoping that someone could help me through this.

I have 2x DS1812+ for work use. The intention is to have 1 as the usable server at my office, then have a shared folder sync (or time backup, or whatever!) across the internet to my home so I have an off-site backup.

Maybe I took the synology blurbs to be as truthful as they imply when it says it's easy when I should have been more sceptical.

Now, as I'm still in the setting up stage (and have been for a while now), I have both NAS at home so the first backup can be done on LAN.

Both servers have fixed IP addresses and are link aggregated to a managed cisco switch.

I followed the instructions for shared folder sync. As in:

Main NAS - Network backup is checked, shared folder sync is checked.

Backup NAS - Network backup is checked, shared folder sync is checked

The shared folder sync was then set up and the connection to my fixed IP addressed backup NAS was 'successful'. However, I keep getting failed messages.

What am I doing wrong? I have an airport extreme running the internet and currently have no port-forwarding happening as I'm not trying to access the servers from outside of the network until I have this working properly.

The really frustrating thing is that I got it working the other day, but by morning it had stopped working and is refusing to work again. I've tried all combinations of the checkboxes too.

Please, please help me if you can!

Thank you very much!

2. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Since both NAS are at your home, on the same IP subnet and connected to a layer 2 switch (Cisco switch with link aggregation) this has nothing to do with the Airport Extreme whatsoever (when you get it working at home and then move one to the office you can then worry about the internet aspect of connecting them and honestly you would be better off with a router that supports SSL VPN tunneling than an airport extreme for what you are trying to do anyways).

You should be asking this question in the Synology forums.