Synology NAS & iTunes Query

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Raelthorne, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Raelthorne macrumors newbie

Hi folks,

I'm thinking of building a Synology NAS as a backup for all my media, pictures, ebooks and personal documents. My aim would be to see all my files from both my PC and Mac Mini.

Can anyone tell me if I can store my music and videos on the NAS and just run iTunes from the Mini. In essence, no files on the Mini, files could be uploaded from both PC & Mac to the NAS, all files would be viewable on the Mini and could be transferred to my iPad/iPod.

Thanks for your help,

Rael

2. nkawal macrumors regular

Yes, you can absolutely do that. I currently have a 2011 mac mini with a samsung 128gb ssd and a synology 211j with 2 wd 1tb drives. I have about 800gb of movies, songs, tv shows, pics, etc on the NAS and use itunes to point to the NAS.

I also jailbroke my atv2's and use it to find all the non mp4 files (avi..etc) and it plays perfectly fine.

Definately a good decision.

3. mjcharlton71 macrumors member

Another positive response here.

DS211j, 2x2TB drives, music/video/photos/software/various stored in the respective shares on the NAS.... iTunes library moved to Music share and iMac pointed to it. It _can_ be a little sluggish starting sometimes and parsing the library files, but when it's running day in/day out it's fine.