Synology NAS now has AirPlay & VPN support

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by blueroom, Jun 8, 2011.

1. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

New firmware for Synology NAS was released 6/8/2011.
    Just downloading and testing it now. I'll post my findings here.

2. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Thanks for posting....haven't checked the Synology forums for a while. Keep us informed on your impressions and whether or not they've "broken" something inadvertantly in this new release.

3. blueroom thread starter macrumors 603

blueroom

Well the AirPlay is a little odd, but seems to be working. You use either Audio Station or the Audio Station app and you can stream from your NAS directly to any AirPlay device (my ATV2 shows up just fine). It's nowhere near as powerful as a computer running iTunes somewhere on the network.
    [​IMG]

The VPN setup with no issues. I've just no idea what I'd use it for? I have dropbox & WebDAV so I can get to my files anytime. I wonder if I could see Bonjour remotely with it (iTunes remote server?)

4. Kaptajn Haddock macrumors regular

Kaptajn Haddock

It works with ds directly to airport express.
    Now thats cool!
    No more pc inbetween to play music.
    Control is via ds audio from app store or android market.

5. Kaptajn Haddock macrumors regular

Kaptajn Haddock

Wonder if that also works with apple lossless.

6. blueroom thread starter macrumors 603

blueroom

I'll test Apple lossless tomorrow. I've been brushing up on VPN to see if Bonjour works.

7. mrf-user macrumors newbie

Despite optimistic posting above, the PPTP VPN available in the new released DSM DSM 3.1-1742 is not working with iOS iPhone / iPad devices. All attempts I made to connect an iPhone 3G, iPhone 4 and iPad 2 with a DS210+, failed regardless of configuration. Some people using jailbroken iPhones seems successful, but how somebody else said, this feature should "work out of the box".

See this Synology forum for details:
    http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewforum.php?f=173

This is even more disappointing for Apple users when it comes in addition to not supporting Apple HSF file system on USB and eSata attached storage. It is hard to understand Synology adding support for some Linux file systems used by few developers (which is nice), but completely forgetting millions of Apple users.

On the bright side Synology has few iPhone/iPad apps allowing you to access your music, photos and files. No video however, as Synology is still using only Flash and no htlm5, actually another iOS Apple no go.

Still have some hope for more Apple products support.

8. thorag macrumors newbie

Hmmm... for me, Audio Station in browser shows my Airport Express as MediaRenderer, but every time I play a song, it stops after about 3 seconds. It seems, the player goes on, but there is no more music played. My Airport Express is in the LAN via cable and the DS210+ as well, both are connected via a network switch, so the fact that I am using Audio Station via WLAN from my MacBook should not have any negative bandwidth impact (at least I hope so), as the DS and Airport can directly communicate via the switch.

Anyone any ideas? My Airport Express is now about 2 years old, but has the latest updates.