Synology NAS question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by benoitgphoto, Jan 16, 2011.

1. benoitgphoto, Jan 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2011

benoitgphoto macrumors 6502

Hi...I'm looking for some gurus on NAS drives for Mac. Here is my question :

I 'm actually at my second NAS drive on which I got some issues so I'm looking for another solution. Here is the story :

I bought a WD My Book World (white light) edition and tried to use it with Time Machine backup. I got reliability issues : Very often, the backups were not performing and TM stating that it was not able to perform the backup (I don't exactly remember the error message). Being unable to find a fix, I got a refund.

Then, I bought a Seagate GoFlex Home edition. Was working great for 1 month, backing up 1 Mac wired to the router and 1 Mac over wi-fi. But a few days ago, the drive was not able to perform any backup on the computer that was wired. After a few trials to fix the issue, I decided to bring it back under satisfaction garantee.

So, I'm looking for a new NAS and for those who know Synology (DS110j), how is the Time Machine backups on that, Is the system stable and reliable ? Is the set-up simple ? Is it a good choice or is it about the same poor performance of the WD or the Seagate ones ? Would you recommend another NAS ?

Thanks for your help.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

A shame that the WD/Seagate devices didn't work for you.

I don't have any direct experience with the Synology units, but I have been running an HP MediaSmart EX490 server as my primary Time Machine drive for about a year and it has been solid. It requires a small piece of software running on the Mac to mount the Time Machine backup volume.

At this point, however, I would not recommend any Windows Home Server units. HP has exited this marked and Microsoft has basically turned WHS into a plain old server and eliminated many of the features that made WHS different (Single Instance File Storage, Drive Extender, ...).

B

3. mpovolo macrumors member

I have the Synology 211j and it's great. The only thing I am trying to figure out now is how to restrict the space time machine uses. I know it's possible just want the simplest way to do it. Other than that, I highly recommend it.

4. benoitgphoto thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks very much for the info. As for the WD/Seagate, unfortunately their forums are plagued with those connectivity issues. That's why fir the next one, I'd like to do my homework first.

Thanks again

5. dimme macrumors 65816

If the sole use is for time machine backups, you may want to look into time capsule or a usb drive attached to a Airportbase station.

6. benoitgphoto thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks for the info but it won't be for backups only even though TM backups will be the main use.