Synology storage view and opinions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MagicUK, Jun 26, 2007.

1. MagicUK macrumors regular

MagicUK

Okay the following has been recommended together with the older 407e model. Seems to be pretty well placed for the Mac / iPod / iTunes market as well the the general data hog.

http://www.synology.com/enu/products/CS407/index.php

Would appreciate views and opinions, especially between the models as I can only see a memory difference.

2. LeviG macrumors 65816

cs407 and cs407e are the same model apart from the amount of ram and iirc the processor might be slightly faster on the 407e plus a few additional features on the "e" model.

Generally speaking the "e" class versions of a synology product is more for the enterprise/small office environment and have slightly upgraded specs to allow for more people connecting to it etc. I think theres a few differences in the ftp area too, think the "e" supports secure ftp where as the other doesnt.

Speaking of hardware (I own a ds106j, specifically bought due to spare pata drive) and its seems fine, the firmware seems updated reasonably quick, the hibernate is a tad hit and miss for me (works on 15mins and above but not on 10mins strangely), itunes server does not show art or work with protected aac but shows up happily in itunes. FTP and web are fine in my view, well they do what I need of them, I can restrict user access to specific folders to specific people etc. Download station works with most formats I have tried although bittorrent is slow in current builds.

Current speed on gig ethernet is acceptable, I think its about 15meg/s iirc which is enough for me but might be a bit of an issue on a larger environment.