Sys Admin Books for Mac ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 24jedi, Jul 4, 2014.

1. 24jedi macrumors newbie

Until recently (the last six months) I have always used Windows. Earlier in my IT career, I was a Windows Enterprise System Engineer. I knew how to troubleshoot issues at the system level using tools like Event Viewer, navigating the file system, Command Window...etc.

Most of the books I've seen for Mac OS have been how-to's for email, browser, ical, setting up a printer or creating a movie from photos.

Can someone point me to some technical books that would allow me to;
    • Troubleshoot application failures.
    • Troubleshoot system events.
    • Advance techniques for Apple integration in an Enterprise environment.

Thanks

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I haven't read it but this got good reviews in its earlier versions. O'Reilly has some other books on the command line and the version of Unix they use.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There aren't very many books for how to be a power user with Mac OS X. My suggestion would be to read up on UNIX/BSD, not Linux. It's what Mac OS X is based off of and is extremely powerful. That will help you get acquainted with the more power user side of Mac OS X and its Terminal.

4. 24jedi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to both of you.. Its a starting point.

-Don

5. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

Unix and BSD books will be a good starting point, but Apple has layered a lot of stuff on top of its BSD base, so you'll have to play around with OS X and see. I thought the PF firewall in particular is a spaghetti mess of configuration files compared to PF in OpenBSD when I briefly looked at it. I'd recommend Absolute FreeBSD and/or Absolute OpenBSD by Michael Lucas if you want a great intro to BSD. They will both cover the firewall and networking pretty thoroughly as well as lots of other stuff.