syslogd and RSS

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cheezebob, Jan 24, 2008.

1. cheezebob macrumors member

syslogd has been using 90+% of my cpu. I've seen other people have this same problem. I turned off time machine, but that didn't really solve the problem. I keep activity monitor open and try to quit syslogd when I see (on my icon displaying cpu usage) that cpu usage is high. Sometimes I click on my autoclickable rss bookmark folder, I see my cpu usage go back up and syslogd comes back to 90-100%. Other times, Safari just quits, right after I let go of the mouse button and without an error message. I can open safari again and see that my new rss articles are still there. Has anyone found a solution? Is this happening to more people?

2. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

What's getting written to the syslog? More importantly, what process is filling up the syslog?

3. TheStu macrumors 65816

Run this command in Terminal

sudo launchctl unload /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.syslogd.plist

You will have to punch in your password when it prompts you for it.

4. cheezebob thread starter macrumors member

How do I find out whats written to the syslog? Also, whats that terminal command do..i dont wanna just randomly be messing with terminal

5. TheStu macrumors 65816

That terminal command kills syslogd for as log as you are logged in. syslogd does just what it's name describes, it logs system events. It is not the end all and be all, and as such, I personally have no problems just turning it off so it will stop pegging my CPU at 100%+.