syslogd Still NOT Fixed in 10.5.2

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Chadder, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Chadder macrumors member

Chadder

I have been having syslogd problems ever since i installed Leopard:mad:, it seems to happen whenever the computer wants to log what i have done for Time Machine, even though i dont even use Time Machine. It gets into a constant loop that wont stop unless i manually stop it. I was hoping that this problem would be fixed in 10.5.2:(

[​IMG]

Anyone else still having this problem?

*Hey guys i cant seem to a picture off my computer to put on this post, could someone detail how to do this?*

2. Chadder thread starter macrumors member

Chadder

Thanks for for the link but i already saw that article before and its solutions only temporarily solve the problem for a short time. And for the record when i posted this form i wasn't using time machine but since then i have a time machine backup drive and im running 10.5.3 and it still happens occasionally. Im going install 10.5.4 soon and see if it happens anymore.

But thanks for the help!

-Chad

3. JavierP macrumors regular

Using Lingon edit com.apple.syslogd daemon and change the launching of syslogd to:

/usr/sbin/syslogd -ttl 3600 -sweep 3600

ttl is the time to live of log messages, sweep is how often messages are cleaned.

Change the times in seconds to other values if you want to. I don't want to keep tons of messages that I will never read for a very long time (If I experience any problem I look at the log right away, so I clean the messages every hour)

Hope this helps,
    Javier

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Hello, I've got a different syslogd problem - not the endless loop one that the OP mentioned, but rather a constant crashing problem.

I keep getting messages in system.log that look something like this:
    Code:
    (date and time stripped) launchd(1): syslogd exited abnormally (bus error)

This happens every time I try to do a log database query in Console.app.