Sysprep Win7 with BootCamp drivers

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mike31mets, Nov 22, 2010.

1. mike31mets macrumors member

I haven't actually done this. I just want feedback. We have a 'universal' ghost image of Windows 7 at work that we've created that works with all our computers (has all the drivers for computers we support). I'm looking to piggyback that image and just add in the BootCamp drivers. However I'm curious to know:

-Which BootCamp drivers would I be adding to the sysprep drivers folder? BootCamp 3.0, 3.1 or 3.2?
    -Would the drivers be enough or does Windows actually need the BootCamp software installed?
    -If BootCamp needs to be installed in its entirety, is there a way to have BootCamp silently install upon boot? More importantly, is there a way to install BootCamp 3.2 without having to go through 3.0 -> 3.1 -> 3.2.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I haven't played much with sysprep myself, but it does seem like a bit of a challenge. The way Apple packages the Boot Camp drivers as a single package for all Macs (for either 32 bit or 64 bit) seems to make this more difficult.

Plus as you say the whole route to 3.2 is a pain since, depending on the Mac, you might have to install 3.0 -> 3.1 -> 3.2 or 3.1.x -> 3.2 (some 2010 Macs won't support 3.0).

You probably should just unbundle the drivers you need from the 3.2 file and deal with them as you would any driver for the particular Mac models you intend to support.

B

3. LiquidSpikes macrumors regular

LiquidSpikes

What are you using to deploy the image? Altiris? Ghost? Zenworks?

Sysprep on Windows 7 is pretty straight forward...

You could have it run the bootcamp drivers install many different ways,

One would be to install script to run the boot camp executables silently...

first extract all install files for bootcamp 3.x

to do this you can use 7zip or universal extractor...etc

under the base BootCamp 3.0 setup, will see a main setup ".msi" this is the base MicroSoft Installer file

inside of each of the patches there are BootCampUpdateXX.msp file these are MicroSoft Patch files.

Pull all those files out and put them on a file shares...

Run the commands below in a .bat or .cmd
    -------------------bootcampinstall.bat-------------------
    REM This line installs the base boot camp 3.0 software.
    msiexec /i "\\path\to\MSI\BootCamp.msi" /norestart /qb

REM These lines run the patches to the Boot Camp software.
    msiexec /update "\\path\to\3.1\MSP\BootcampUpdate64.msp"
    msiexec /update "\\path\to\3.1.X\MSP\BootcampUpdate64.msp"
    msiexec /update "\\path\to\3.2\MSP\BootcampUpdate64.msp"
    -------------------End of script-------------------

etc...
    As many updates as you need just add a line.

Another way you could do it is extract all drivers (the *.inf files) and store them in the PNP drivers path

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314479

During the sysprep it will automatically check this location for drivers and install them.

I hope this helps :)

4. mike31mets thread starter macrumors member

Good stuff. I won't be able to test it out now, but perhaps in Jan I might be able to. Maybe earlier. I'll revisit this and your advice then. Thanks!