System 76 Thelio

Discussion in 'Alternatives to Mac Hardware' started by macgeek18, Nov 1, 2018.

1. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Anyone else excited about this release? These machines are crazy nice and with openhardware. The Mac Mini was updated and then these crazy beautiful machines came out today. I just listed my two Ryzen 7 1700 PCs for sale. I want a new Mac Mini and a Thelio!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Seems a bit over priced and tbh, the wooden enclosure doesn't really fit. Definitely not my style. I do like the concept, and if I was all in with Linux, this would be a temptation, but like years past, Linux does not have the apps I want/need. I use Linux at work, for various tasks but its not something I have a need for at home.

3. Mikael H macrumors 6502a

luxury (lŭgˈzhə-rē, lŭkˈshə-)

• n.
      Something inessential but conducive to pleasure and comfort.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The issue is that those machines are not luxurious

5. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

I love that they are built right here in Denver, CO and recall reading about them previously, maybe in that BuiltinColorado group. I kind of forgot about them since I don't use Linux. The thought behind the 76 part of the name was a bit goofy imho, but otherwise nice stuff :)

6. Mikael H macrumors 6502a

No, but they are something you can spend ”unnecessary” amounts of money on if they tickle your fancy, which coincides with the definition of the word. :)

7. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

Or they could also be retail therapy buys :)

"Retail therapy is shopping with the primary purpose of improving the buyer's mood or disposition. Often seen in people during periods of depression or transition, it is normally a short-lived habit. Items purchased during periods of retail therapy are sometimes referred to as 'comfort buys' "