Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RMSko

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
I've been trying to find the System Configuration Folder in Mountain Lion and haven't been able to. I've looked under Library/Preferences and everywhere throughout the Library folder, but I just don't see it. Am I doing something wrong? Is this a hidden folder? Anyone have any thoughts?

I also have a second, but possibly related issue. When I lock the Energy Saver folder in System Preferences, whenever I restart my laptop (rMBP), it automatically unlocks it. I wouldn't think that's supposed to happen, is it? Maybe I need to replace the PowerManagement.plist file?

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I've been trying to find the System Configuration Folder in Mountain Lion and haven't been able to. I've looked under Library/Preferences and everywhere throughout the Library folder, but I just don't see it. Am I doing something wrong? Is this a hidden folder? Anyone have any thoughts?

Are you talking about the user library folder? If so, that folder is now hidden by default. Run the below command in Terminal so unhide it.

Code:
chflags nohidden ~/Library/

Or you can hold the option key when you click Go i the Finder menu and that will make it show up on the list.

I also have a second, but possibly related issue. When I lock the Energy Saver folder in System Preferences, whenever I restart my laptop (rMBP), it automatically unlocks it. I wouldn't think that's supposed to happen, is it? Maybe I need to replace the PowerManagement.plist file?

Do you mean you want to have the System Preference panes remain locked after you make changes? To do that go to System Preference and in the Security and Privacy / general section click advanced and check the box.

20120903-t1ayfa1i227rxdky3bs4kw6hgb.jpg

RMSko

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
Make sure you're looking in /Library/Preferences and not ~/Library/Preferences.
Hmmm - I'm relatively new to Mac and so I'm not exactly sure of the difference between /Library/Preferences and ~/Library/Preferences. What I did was go to Finder then Go and held down the option key and selected Library. Should I be doing something else?

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Hmmm - I'm relatively new to Mac and so I'm not exactly sure of the difference between /Library/Preferences and ~/Library/Preferences. What I did was go to Finder then Go and held down the option key and selected Library. Should I be doing something else?

Any time you see a reference using ~/library it's about the user. Any time you see /library it's the system.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Option key - go gets you to the ~/Library folder and that is your user library.

RMSko

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
Are you talking about the user library folder? If so, that folder is now hidden by default. Run the below command in Terminal so unhide it.

Code:
chflags nohidden ~/Library/
Thanks - this was what I needed to do. Thanks to everyone as now I understand the difference between the 2 Library folders and have now been able to find the System Configuration folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.