System Crash -- Avoidable Noob Mistake??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hhaeschen, Jan 22, 2008.

1. hhaeschen macrumors regular

Hi guys,

after switching from Windows to Mac it took me only three weeks to need AppleCare's help. They weren't sure but perhaps someone here can tell me if this was my fault.

1) Here's what happened:
    - got my beautiful brand-new Blackbook 3 weeks ago
    - Tiger was preinstalled (got a great deal b/c of that), I updated to Leopard
    - everything worked great until yesterday --> being in sleep mode it would not wake up again; instead I got a blue screen with that little spinning wheel turning and turning forever
    - shutting down (by pressing the Pwr button) and restarting didn't help either
    - AppleCare told me to reinstall OS X which was quite time consuming but did solve the problem

2) Here's what might have caused it:
    - since I am using my notebook in a couple of networks I checked the file sharing settings and discovered that everyone could read my files
    - I changed it by doing this: open Finder > right-click on home folder > Get Info > Sharing & Permissions > here I changed the settings for "everyone" to "none"
    - of course, I didn't touch my own permissions within those settings
    - soon after that I put my Macbook into sleep mode and all that mess described above happened

...Now do you think changing the settings caused the crash? AppleCare told me it is not likely but still possible. Remember, I am new to the Mac and OS X and might do one or the other beginner's mistake...

Thx,
    H.

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

I'm not sure why changing EVERYONE to NONE would mess stuff up on your home folder, but FWIW, if you use the Disk Utility program in your Applications > Utilities folder, it has an area that will check and repair the permissions of your drive for you.