System crashing after waking from sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by willryan42, Dec 12, 2013.

1. willryan42 macrumors regular

This is the third time this has happened with my MBP (10.9) in the last week. I close the lid to put it to sleep, carry it to work in my backpack (pretty cold temperatures here in Chicago, not that that should matter), open the lid to wake it from sleep, and within a few seconds it restarts and gives me the grey "your computer restarted because of a problem."

I've had this macbook for several years (2009-2010 model, I believe) so I'm hoping it's not dying on me... If I click "report" on the system crash dialog after it restarts, I see the log below. It's all fairly foreign to me but seems like it's some kind of graphics related kernal panic. I bought a new second display last week but again, I don't think that would have anything to do with this crash. Any ideas?

2. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Looks like it is related to your graphics card.

3. willryan42 thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I'm thinking... anything I can do about this? Any other tests I can run?

4. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Try the apple hardware test.

5. willryan42 thread starter macrumors regular

Just stumbled across that on google but it doesn't seem to be working. I hold D before the grey screen appears (also tried opt+d, cmd+d) but it just sits there for a while before continuing to my regular login screen.

6. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I believe that's because your model does not have a recovery partition on the hard drive. You have to perform the hardware test based on the OS your machine shipped with, not the one you're currently running.

Using Apple Hardware Test

7. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Yes.

So, OP, you need to locate your install disk, insert it into the optical drive and then follow the instructions.

8. willryan42 thread starter macrumors regular

Ahh okay that clears a few things up. I was getting confused about how to get it working properly. I have a mid 2010 MBP, I'm thinking it shipped with Snow Leopard? So I have to use one of the discs it came with to use the AHT? I'm at work now but hopefully I still have them...

9. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Yeah if I understand correctly, you should have one disc if it came with Leopard or two discs if it came with Snow Leopard. My mid-2009 MBP that I bought in June that year came with one disc.

10. hybrid62 macrumors member

GPU panic on retina mid 2012

My computer is doing the samething after I updated it to Maverick. When it goes sleep for a little while and i wake it up it has a GPU panic. Now I am wonder if maverick is the root of all this.