System Defrag Question?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Panzo, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Panzo macrumors 6502

I ran a system defrag on my macbook pro with techtool Pro and after the defrag is done, if i run the defrag again it shows on the graph a specific strand of the hard drive is still fragmented its minuscule but no matter what it doesnt go away and it doesnt leave em with one continguois block of free space... whats goign on?

2. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

It's either because of non-movable system files or because of a corrupt sector.

Even if you could get a single block, it's not going to be a blazing improvement in speed at all.

3. Panzo thread starter macrumors 6502

What is a corrupt sector? Is it hardware damage? im currently running a surface scan for any bad blocks, will that help shed light on my issue?

4. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

The same thing.

If the issue at hand is that all files won't get put into a single block on the HD, then you're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Is there a different issue you were having that led you to running a disk defrag?

5. Panzo thread starter macrumors 6502

precisely, sloppy performance, beachballing, poor read/write speeds....

6. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Okay now we're getting somewhere. What kind of mac do you have?

When does it happen most - what apps are you using?

How full is your HD?

How long has it been running slow?

7. Panzo thread starter macrumors 6502

Happens the most when watching a movie using quicktime

The machine is a brand new 2009 macbook pro

only 70 gb out of 200+

and its been running slow recently.

8. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

What file formats are you watching in QT?

If it's some high definition video, xvid or some other non-native encoding, QT tends to stutter quite often depending on the codec used.

You can try using a different media player such as VLC, Nice Player, or a different codec component in QT such as Perian.

Also, if you edit the title on your original post to say:
    QT Video Playback slow on new MBP
    You'll get a lot more people responding.

9. Panzo thread starter macrumors 6502

i thank you for the concern, but the quicktime thread was posted a while ago and no one answered, im on my own now, along with a few others having the same issue, we were pretty much abandoned by EVERYONE, including the perian team, including apple engineers...

So im here trying to trouble shoot myself, along with posting Spin control output files and such.

I ran diskutility and it fixxed a allocation Bitmap error or inconsistency hope this is good news.

10. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Have you tried VLC? It stalls if I'm running torrents in the background some on h.264 or mpk files, but for everything else it's hands down better than QT.

Well other than using Disk Utility, you can try resetting the PRAM
    and run the Hardware test (on the second OS install disk) to make sure there's no problem with the graphics card or HD.

If no one here has helped out, another good place to find help trouble shooting is:
    http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa

I've found many solutions there to specific problems I've had.
    If plausible at all, perhaps scheduling an appointment at an Apple store might get you somewhere as well.

11. Panzo thread starter macrumors 6502

Ive done alot to trouble shoot this issue, including clean format, used hardware diagnostic tool came out without errors, last thing left to do is go have a chat with an apple genius but even at that they are usually unhelpful unless you show them what your tlaking about (beachballs, hangs, etc) and those are totally random in occurrence.