System error or virus? Giant icons & windows.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mikebatho, Dec 18, 2011.

1. mikebatho macrumors 6502a

Worried I may have picked up a virus. Out of nowhere, all the icons , windows & web pages I open, including dock have gone oversized, about Three times the normal size, & all blocky. Everything apart from the desktop picture.

Can barely use it (imac) now, as any windows opened are too big for the screen & can't be scaled. Any ideas?

Cheers.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't have a virus. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.
    Check your selection in System Preferences > Displays > Display > Resolutions:

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Because no viruses exist for OS X you can be sure that is not the problem. I suspect all you have done is turned on the Zoom feature. You can change it by going to System Preferences - Universal Access - Seeing and clicking Off for Zoom. A keyboard shortcut is Option Command 8 or fn Command F11 or finally Command - and Command +.

4. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fixed!! Don't know how it got changed, as I have sole access, but the resolution got screwed up in displays. Random!! Thanks for the help : )