System Files Drive and Files Drive on a 250gb HD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by igblack, Jan 12, 2011.

1. igblack macrumors newbie

I have split my hard drive in two by having a friend help me reboot my macbook pro. I had him make a drive that was 70gb for "System Files" and a 180gb "Files Drive". I have only 27gb left on the systems file drive for applications. Is this going to be enough, I feel that i need to re-format my hard drive and start from scratch again.

Thanks.

2. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

27gb for just applications should be fine unless your planning on installing Logic Studio or something similar (Not CS5 or Final Cut Studio - that shouldnt fill that up). I mean on my Laptops, I dont have more than 10GB applications in total, and thats after years of use - My Mac Pros System Files would fit in 70GB with some to spare - you should be fine :) (My Mac Pros Applications Folder is 16.53GB and this is as a fully configured FCPEditing System)

3. igblack thread starter macrumors newbie

I am just concerned because I had my friend help me install everything, and don't get me wrong...hes really great with computers. I started with 70gigs and am down to 27gb...and that was like 4 days ago. Makes me wonder, :confused:

Thanks for your thoughts though and ill look into it some more.

P.s. I am just remembering back to my PC days and thinking that 30gb's didn't go anywhere fast. You could fill up that amount of space in like 2 minutes literally...I guess I just need to get in a Mac state of mind!

4. simsaladimbamba

5. igblack thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!!!

I'm still trying to figure out how all these file systems connect to each other. For instance, I just deleted a folder of music from my 180gb partition and it freed up space in my "system file" partition where all my applications are. Now granted that's where iTunes is installed. I don't see the connection of how that freed up like 4 gigs of space on the 27gb partition?

6. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Those are probably either files on that partition, or, more likely, some iTunes data from the Library folder was removed.

7. igblack thread starter macrumors newbie

I think i figured out why my "system files" was shrinking so fast. I had my iTunes media folder location under my iblack systems file location setting. I think slowly but surely I'm getting the hold of this Mac!!!

Kindest regards!