System folder icons have disappeared (on Macintosh HD)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Davmeister, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Davmeister, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2010

Davmeister macrumors 6502

Davmeister

Title says it all really! The test remains, however, and you can still go into each folder, as it is still selectable.

Any ideas? (See attatched image)

This is a new 17 inch Macbook, Time Machine restored from a 15 inch one (including system files).

Any ideas where I can recover the icon files (I think I can copy and paste the icon files into the preview section on the get info window)? Or if there is another solution?

Three other things, if you happen to know the answer as well:

1. I've just bought this screwdriver: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRITOOL-VDE-I...ls_Equipment&hash=item1e58b36436#ht_872wt_907

Will this be sufficient to replace the hard drive in my uMBP (considering it is all Philips screws)

2. Do you know if the Momentus XT Solid State Hybrid Hard Drive can be restored using a clone, without slowdown consequences?

3. Do you know of any desktop images which, when selected to cycle for e.g. every 5 seconds, will create a cool effect? I'm thinking night and day scenes, identical images with different hues etc.

I'd be grateful if you could impart your knowledge on any of the above!

Essay over
    Thanks

Tom

Attached Files:

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

go to HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences
    move the file com.apple.finder.plist to your Desktop
    Restart the computer. This will make a new default plist file in Preferences.
    Better? or not?