System Font Support

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nomhak, Oct 30, 2009.

1. nomhak macrumors newbie

Well I recently ran into problems with Suitcase causing it to screw up Font Cache and what not, and a couple hidden font bugs resulting in duplicated fonts and a whole slew of annoyance.

Anywho, Here's the result of the mess. I was recently going through my font book and I so happened to notice that all of a sudden I have a duplicate fonts for a bunch of system default fonts. Such as Times Regular (3 times) Italic (twice) bold (twice, and Bold Italic (twice) along with Courier and Myriad Pro. My question is - is it safe for me to delete any of these fonts or disable them? I guess I could ignore them but its more of an annoyance than anything else.

Furthermore can anyone recommend great (better than suitcase crap) font management software?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Disabling the duplicates shouldn't cause any problems and will be reversible, but I try to avoid using FontBook altogether.

Although I'm not working with hundreds of fonts or dozens of sets at the mo, I still find the old and free version of Linotype FontExplorer X pretty good, although I'm still running it on Leopard, not Snow Leopard. Gave up Suitcase years ago. You could try it out for a while, see how it works for you.

http://www.fontexplorerx.com/download/

Bottom of the list: