System format & restore: is this safe?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DaveF, Aug 15, 2008.

1. DaveF macrumors 6502a

To reinstall BootCamp with a larger partition, I need to reformat my hard drive in my MBP and restore everything. I plan to do the following:

* Make a complete, bootable backup with SuperDuper! to an external hard drive.
    * Boot from the external drive
    * With Disk Utility, erase / format my MBP's internal hard drive.
    * Use SuperDuper! and restore / copy the external drive to the internal drive.
    * Reboot my Mac with the internal drive like normal.

Is this safe? Have I missed anything important for doing a system wipe and restore? Thanks!

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Sounds good to me

3. DaveF thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's safe. Works like a charm. The only downside so far is that TimeMachine registers every file as having changed, and does a complete copy of the hard drive on its next backup.

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I'm lost as to why you want to reformat the entire hard drive just to get a larger partition for bootcamp. All you have to do is drop the bootcamp partition and start over again with a larger allocation right? Or did you have something else in mind?

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

I was wondering the same thing- but also using the free cool little utility WinClone ( http://twocanoes.com/winclone/ ) you can enlarge the Windows partition without the time wasted having to reinstall Windows- detailed instructions (that work, I might add!) are incuded in the FAQ section of the site. Not that it applies here, but it also has a procedure for shrinking the Windows partition too.

6. DaveF thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's what I thought too. But I encountered a not-uncommon BootCamp error during partition that said some files could not be moved and I'd have to do a system format/restore to make it work. So I did. It's a disk fragmentation issue, I think.

I could have repeated my original 15 GB partition without problem. But I was in so deep, I might as well fix the partition size that had been an annoyance.

Re: WinClone: I've now used it to backup my partition in case of future trouble :)

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I've had that problem too. So I backed up my windows and mac partitions and system wiped everything. started fresh and it works like a charm.