System Freezes - Restart Required

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by joe73, Feb 28, 2014.

1. joe73 macrumors newbie

Hi all, I've noticed a new concern following the recent install of 10.9.2. The "lockup" has occurred several times on my Macbook Air (13in, mid-2013). By lockup/freeze, I mean complete loss of access to anything on my screen with everything on the screen, including the icon, freezing in it's location and no response to any key or touchpad input. The screen and computer basically stop responding to anything.

This has happened for me when browsing with the latest version of Firefox. The only way to remedy the situation is a hard-restart with the power key.

I suppose I associate it with 10.9.2 as it's the most recent software update and I've not changed anything else in my system configuration or my software for awhile.

Anyone notice something similar?

Thanks for your thoughts!

2. MattSeven macrumors member

I've started seeing this, as well. Very annoying!

11" MBA, i7, 8gb, 256ssd

3. llirik macrumors member

llirik

This has been happening EVERY SINGLE DAY since i've updated to 10.9.2 on a retina mbp. I've searched and posted on apple's forums, and it seems a fair number of people are having this issue, but aside from the obvious "try resetting pram" (does nothing), there is no info or acknowledgement of this.

This is definitely related to 10.9.2 and nothing else, as I kept the computer on with no programs open and it still crashes like you described.

I'm trying to find a way to downgrade to 10.9.1.... anybody know if its possible?

4. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

I'm getting the same issue with my rMBP + 10.9.2. This makes closing the lid a definitely unreliable task.

5. llirik macrumors member

llirik

I was forced to restore using a time machine backup from 10.9.1

Haven't had a single issue since. For anyone still affected, it seems this is the only answer, and STAY AWAY from 10.9.2

6. kage207 macrumors 6502a

Just happened to me for the first time since being on 10.9.2... :/

EDIT: I really hope this doesn't continue to happen.

7. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

has been happening to me all day. It just randomly stops responding for 5-10 seconds. I can't move the track pad but it is not frozen. As I watch a movie or a youtube video. The video stops playing but the music track in the background works fine.

Very annoying

8. MikePembo951 macrumors member

Same here. MBA 2013 (i5 8GB)
    I've noticed it happens most frequently when I connect my 2nd display (mini display port) and sleep. When I open from sleep, it kernel panics and I lose everything :(

Not noticed this happen before 10.9.2