System Hard Drive Swap/Clone?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by The Fish, Oct 10, 2008.

1. The Fish macrumors newbie

I have an original G5 1.8mhz Single Processor Mac and I need to switch out my system hard drive to a new bootable drive. That means taking the 80GB out and replacing it with a 640GB internal Sata II drive. I already have the other drive bay filled with a 250GB sats drive.

I know I can take that 250GB out and put the new drive into the second bay to start the cloning/copying process, but before I jump into that I want to know if there are anythings I am supposed to do beforehand. I have never done something like this before and I don't want to lose the 65GB of programs I have on my original drive. It's just too small and it's starting to act up a little, i.e. move VERY slowly. It's just too full to function like it used to. And every once in a while I get that dreaded folder with the ? before startup and then it switches over and boots normally.

I have run disk utility on the computer and tried to repair the disk but it keeps saying "minor header repair needed" or something like that. I think 80GB is too darn small anyways.

So bottom line I want to make the new 640GB drive my startup drive by cloning or copying my old 80GB drive over to the new one. Any suggestions to someone who has never done this before?

I appreciate all the help I can get on this. The manual for the computer says absolutely nothing about this problem and or how to fix it. I am sure it's simple, but right now I am clueless.

Michael LaMere (The Fish)

2. Toby Goodbar macrumors 6502

i'm not the msot experienced but i jus did what your about 2 do last night. i used CCC (carbon copy cloner) free to download jus google it. i hooked up both hard drives (internal in this case) and cloned it on to a bigger empty drive. when i woke up in the morning it was done. i went into system preferences and click startup and choose the new drive as the startup drive and reset it the computer. only thing i noticed is da first time itunes started up it took a minute and spotlight needed to re-index the system took bout 35 minutes.

3. ant-macyourself macrumors member

When I swapped out the hard drive on my MacBook Pro, I used SuperDuper to clone the drive. All you should need to do is start the clone, swap the drives when it's finished, and that's it. There aren't any real tricks to it - SuperDuper is intuitive so it's all fairly straightforward.