Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miffed

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Hi ,

I bought a 17" Pre unibody MBP from ebay - Although it all worked fine, but it developed some serious hinge problems ! I got some quotes to get this repaired but these were simply not worth doing, ...Then I stumbled across another cosmetically perfect A1229 (same as mine) with a dead logic board going for less than the cost of the repair quotes, I had a quick look on iFixit, then decided to buy the perfect MBP and transplant my Logic board into it

The only differences were 2.4Ghz vs 2.6Ghz , and the "Body donor" machine has a 1920 x 1200 Glossy display.

All went fine , thing works lovely now and I am pleased with the outcome , but If I look in "About this mac" it identifies as a 15" Mid 2010 machine , and reports the screen as being 15" (correct res though)

Not a huge problem - but a bit strange , I wonder if this could lead to any problems with updates etc in the future ?

Takashi

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
Hi ,

I bought a 17" Pre unibody MBP from ebay - Although it all worked fine, but it developed some serious hinge problems ! I got some quotes to get this repaired but these were simply not worth doing, ...Then I stumbled across another cosmetically perfect A1229 (same as mine) with a dead logic board going for less than the cost of the repair quotes, I had a quick look on iFixit, then decided to buy the perfect MBP and transplant my Logic board into it

The only differences were 2.4Ghz vs 2.6Ghz , and the "Body donor" machine has a 1920 x 1200 Glossy display.

All went fine , thing works lovely now and I am pleased with the outcome , but If I look in "About this mac" it identifies as a 15" Mid 2010 machine , and reports the screen as being 15" (correct res though)

Not a huge problem - but a bit strange , I wonder if this could lead to any problems with updates etc in the future ?

After you perform the surgery did you reinstall OSX?

miffed

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Yes , I reinstalled Snow leopard , then upgraded to Lion. I also reset the PRAM too. I didn't notice if the problems were present under SL.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Look under System Report instead (About This Mac | More Info | System Report...). Verify model identifier, process name and speed, and serial number.

You can lookup using model identifier and serial number from EveryMac.

miffed

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Thanks folks,

It turns out the Serial is indeed that of a 15" 2010 MBP, ...and I can only think of one reason that anyone would do that :mad:

Not sure how to proceed to be honest , the "stolen" machine (if it turns out to be stolen) has been unknowingly sold off in bits and all that remains is the Logic Board - the rest of the MBP is a different machine.

bit of a mess really !

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Thanks folks,

It turns out the Serial is indeed that of a 15" 2010 MBP, ...and I can only think of one reason that anyone would do that :mad:

Not sure how to proceed to be honest , the "stolen" machine (if it turns out to be stolen) has been unknowingly sold off in bits and all that remains is the Logic Board - the rest of the MBP is a different machine.

bit of a mess really !

You can't have a 17" MBP with a 15" MBP Logic Board inside. Physically, it wouldn't even come close to fitting. Most likely, the Logic Board was replaced at some point and the tech who did the replacement mistyped the serial number. Easy to do, although a brain-dead move (the tool used to set it makes you confirm the serial number is correct 4-5 times before it sets it). Nothing you can do about it now, unless you're willing to get a new Logic Board for that.

jW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.